DFY was born out of a desire to level the playing field for the next generation. Our strategy is to engage with young disaffected or disenfranchised kids who don't have access to the springboards that give others a head start in life, and help equip them with the mental skills to realise their full potential.
DFY is the Foundation of sports agency International Sports Consulting and, using some of the best sporting talent in the country as our DFY ambassadors and role models, we're bringing children unrivalled leadership, mentoring and coaching into the classroom and out on the field.
After years working in the corporate world we wanted to do something different, something that had social impact, and something that leverages our knowledge of the sporting industry to benefit the community.
ISC leant on our relationships with our inspirational clients and other motivational people we have dealt with throughout the industry. We created a team of ambassadors willing to give their time to help the DFY cause. The goal is to inspire young people who are heading down a path where they don't have the luxury of choices and equip them with the mental tools to be able to overcome their challenges. We want to help them carve a pathway to their ambitions.
Our role models engage with the pupils on our programme by demonstrating how they have made it to the top of their own field. They identify the values they have had to live by to get there and motivate the kids to find instances in their own life where they can utilise these. Values such as dedication, sacrifice, teamwork, and ambition. As well as educational and mentoring sessions in the classroom we head outside and use sport as a conduit to show how the values the pupils have learnt play out in reality.
We believe the values learned through the DFY programme are transferable to all areas of their life.
DFY ran its first pilot scheme at Ark Wembley in spring 2019 and, despite our 2nd scheme being postponed due to restrictions relating to Covid-19 we will roll out to wider community towards the end of 2020, impact more children, and offer them an even better program including a personal mentor, for those that need it, who will engage with them on a one to one, weekly basis, ongoing after the program has finished to make sure they stay on track with their ambitions. When the pupil feels confused – we’ll be there, when they feel angry – we’ll be there, when they just feel like they need an adult to talk to – we’ll be there.
- Complete our initial fundraising campaign
- Recruit more great ambassadors and inspiring mentors to work on the program and impact more kids
- Develop 1:1 mentor concept - mentors to be in frequent contact throughout the year
- Run the next DFY series of sessions by the end of 2020
- Finalise our charities commission status
- Source more sponsors to support the program
- Host our formal launch event to raise more awareness and revenue
- Develop the 2021 curriculum and plan next events
- Invite the pupils we worked with to watch their ambassadors play a Premiership rugby match and meet them again after the game
- For those that are passionate about sport we will connect them with a sports club that suits their ability to add to their journey
In the time of increased poverty, government cuts to youth programs, alcohol and drugs, this has never been more important. We need to act now to reach as many kids as possible before it’s too late.